[Caevlist] New around here: introduction

Jacob Field jacobtimothyfield at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:33:27 PST 2021

Hi All, I'm new around here so I thought I might introduce myself and my EV.

I'm an electrical and computer engineering student at OSU who recently
moved to the area. My EV is a 2011 Think City (factory produced for those
not familiar) that was resurrected after someone let water get into the
main controller.

I previously had another Think and a 1980 ComutaCar that I semi-restored. I
started that project with the ambitious goal of building it a pack from
salvaged 18650 cells, got enough to make it move at about 3MPH down a
completely flat road, and then switched to salvage 1st-gen Leaf cells,
which were enough to get it to around 35MPH tops and maybe 5 miles of
range. (Should have been more, but those Leaf cells do not handle lots of
current well. I'd use Volt or Tesla modules if I did it again.)

My current project is adding CHAdeMO fast-charging to my Think. That's
progressing well and I believe I'm nearing a successful first charge, but
it's also the largest project I've attempted so there are plenty of little
bugs to find. I've been documenting progress on an Instagram blog,
https://www.instagram.com/th1nkagain/

It's been neat moving to this area and seeing so many more EVs than where I
used to live!
Best, Jacob Field