[Caevlist] New Oregon registration fees for EVs

Paul Wallace ianaudio at peak.org
Fri Nov 29 14:18:51 PST 2019

When I first registered my truck, I had to point out to the DMV clerk that they were supposed to charge me 2x the standard registration cost since it is electric.  They looked it up in their books and sure enough, it was so noted.  I am a fan of weight mile, or at lease milage charges for all vehicles which aren’t commercial, since the weight of the vehicle plus the miles driven are what do the damage to the roads and supporting infrastructure.  I thought that even with just milage charges, it would relatively easy to collect as you must mark down your current odometer reading when updating registration.  Should be very straight forward to collect during the registration process without a significant (2 x) increase in costs.  Now they have layered a complete agency in place to deal with the technology of monitoring your miles though the OBDII port.  Next thing you will need is to have an OBDII hub so that you can plug in the milage monitor and your OBDII to BlueTooth dongle for LeafSpy or Torque.

Paul