[Caevlist] [Oeva-list] What's next?

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sun Feb 25 21:50:48 PST 2018

Today's update: I found out that a kind soul on here got a Model 3 a
couple weeks ago and ran up to Hillsboro to check it out.

The good news is that the center display is a lot more usable than I
thought, and I rather like the interior.

The bad news is that the trunk is as restrictive as I expected, and the
worse news is that for my tall torso and possibly exacerbated by
arthritis in my back limiting how much I can fold up, getting in/out of
the thing is challenging.  It's what I recall being an issue in the
model S as well, and in fact I stopped by the Tesla store in Washington
Square (which has moved over beside the Cheesecake Factory with an
outside entrance now) and yes, the Model S is just as painful and worse
in the back seat (I forgot to try that in the Model 3), though very nice
in all other respects.

When the 2018 Leaf came out they did their version of the online
reservation system, and while checking out the options and things, I
ended up making a reservation.  It turns out they really are building it
and sending it to Salem, though if I don't want it, it will just go to
someone else.  But I've been thinking about it, and with a range spec of
150 miles, which means 120 miles real (my rule of thumb is 100% charge:
80% of spec, 80% charge: 80% of that, or 100 miles), which means I can
go to Portland and back with a single fast charge, which covers 99% of
my cross country driving needs and that shouldn't overheat the battery
the way it did in the 30kWh Leaf having to do two+.  They seem to think
by doing the reservation, I'll get some "incentives" as well, so I have
them trying to find out when it might show up and it seems likely I'll
be back in a Leaf within a month or so...

I'm still waffling a bit, but I'll probably cancel my M3 reservation and
Leaf it at least until the MY.  To be honest, aside from the battery
capacity and the charging network, I like the Leaf a lot better overall
though.