[Caevlist] Fixing up a cool old... whatever it is

Christopher Koch jazzjunkie.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 11:20:07 PST 2021

A friend took this beauty out of storage recently, and I'm excited to work
on the electronics part with them.
Boy, reverse engineering this thing was a real blast from the past!

[image: image.png]

The thing's control thing is beautiful. The accelerator pedal turn a shaft
in a mystery sarcophagus, which must contain some sort of wiper system
because depending on rotation angle it enables some combination of four
contactors/solenoid switches. Depending on which contactor(s) are closed,
DC power is connected to the motor through one, two, or three series
resistors. Simple!
[image: image.png]

I'm trying to figure out the motor, so I can look at modern controller
options. The thing has four lugs, arranged as shown here. The two towards
the top of the photo have a coil between them, and the two down the
middle of the motor body also have continuity, with a somewhat lower
resistance. There is no internal connection between the two internal
windings.
Any idea what kind of motor this is?
[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]