[Caevlist] Dead Leaf

Charles Bonville charlesbonville at comcast.net
Tue Mar 19 15:09:57 PDT 2019

Thank you for the tip on periodically pulling fuse 34 to restore telematics connectivity.  Hopefully that will work for my car.The approach I took to protect against low voltage in the SLI battery is to carry one of those small lithium-ion jump starter packs, for those rare days the car won't start. I picked one up at Costco for $40 back around Black Friday.The other thing I did is to stop using the dongle that had an excessive voltage draw.  It had a cellular data modem in it, but I don't think that's the sole reason it was consuming too much power.  The Bluetooth dongle is use for LeafSpy has never caused battery drain in my experience.  (Although I do sometimes have to unplug it for a few seconds for it to correctly re-establish connectivity at a new drive.)-CharlesSent from Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Gregg Swenson <greggswen at gmail.com> Date: 3/19/19  14:33  (GMT-08:00) To: Alan Batie <alan at batie.org> Cc: caevlist at caevclub.org Subject: Re: [Caevlist] Dead Leaf Although it's entirely possible your SLI battery is bad, I went through a similar situation with my 2013 (seemingly) soon after I started using a dongle for LeafSpy...  There were several threads on the Leaf forums on bad SLI lead battery charging algorithms.  Basically, even though it would be easy to keep the SLI leady perfectly charged, it doesn't.  Only several scenarios seem to wake up the DC-DC converter and ramp up to 14.4v for charging.  This is bourn out by watching the 12v battery voltage on LeafSpy.  Only when you turn on certain loads, like headlights, wiper, blower does the inverter kick up to charging level.  Most times, the SLI battery just lols around 12 volts (which is not fully charged).I, of course, layed out $70 for a new battery at Costco before I researched the root cause.  Within a few months I was in the same situation on a new lead battery.So: if you suddenly start driving short trips without headlights on; and maybe not the wipers or blower so much (springtime), and you leave parasitic loads like dongles and chargers plugged in, you are ripe for this scenario.Some owners who exerience this (myself included) stick the SLI bat on a charger for an occasional full charge (like when topping up wiper fluid, etc.).A dumb solution, but it works.  I'm sure Nissan likes the service appointments this generates for them... apparently, they haven't changed the algorithm in your newer Leaf either.GreggBTW, I also have to pull fuse 34 every 30 days for 60 minutes in order to re-register my upgraded TCU on AT&T for telematics connectivity.  Nissan engineers won't fix that code either :-( it's a good thing I like this car!On Mar 19, 2019 11:53 AM, "Alan Batie" <alan at batie.org> wrote:So, I went out to my Leaf to head into work this morning...and it was
unresponsive - the 12V battery was dead.  I can't think of anything that
would have drained it, so I put a charger on it and will take it into
the shop and have them check it out...