[Caevlist] Dead Leaf

Ed Sinclair edsinclair at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 13:34:39 PDT 2019

You are likely correct about the key needing to be on to get stored codes,
but not to send power to the OBD port.  I have a couple bluetooth versions
with various LEDs and they definitely fire up as soon as you plug them in
regardless of key position.  Its probably the ECU on the vehicle that
requires the key to be on in order to retrieve codes, etc.

That said, it's a tiny current draw.  I've had one plugged into a 4runner
for several years 24x7.  When I first plugged it in I did have it seemingly
drain a battery.  However it was just the straw that broke the camel's
back, the battery tested bad anyway.  After battery replacement I've never
had an issue.