[Caevlist] Tesla Module Fire

gburket at peak.org gburket at peak.org
Fri Nov 23 15:07:01 PST 2018

Hi fellow EVers,

Happy Thanksgiving and here's an early holiday gift for those of us working or thinking of working with Tesla Battery modules:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDi1haA71Q  Every time I see a new one of these videos, I keep redesigning a stronger and stronger module containment system. Whatever I come up with is definitely going to have to involve some real-life destructive testing. Or, should I wait until safer, higher energy density batteries come along? Granted, Richard and his buddies didn't use a BMS or active cooling. However, the consequences of this type of fire even though it might be remote when a BMS and active cooling are used, are so dire it can't be ignored.

Stay Safe, Glenn