[Caevlist] Fwd: Advantages Of EV Driving

patrick0101 at gmail.com patrick0101 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:29:45 PST 2014

As many of you know, driving an EV can turn you into an advocate. We know
they are fun, earth-friendly, and the future. And we often want to tell
everyone we can about this great thing we've found. My new friend, Walter
Eager, feels the same way.

He has made two documents espousing the fun of EVs for their drivers and
benefits to anyone that breathes. Here are the documents:

1-pager: http://goo.gl/yUJ0s3
Detailed: http://goo.gl/fCUiyX

The documents were sent to me as attachments. I converted them links to
share on the mailing list.

You can see Walter's introduction to the documents below.

Regards,
Pat
Sunlight will never cost $4/gallon

_____________________________________

Hi OEVA & Corvallis EV Club Members,

I am distributing two documents to help people discover the benefits of
electric vehicle (EV) ownership. As a community service, I am further
offering my assistance, as a retired automotive engineer, in finding,
determining the condition, and negotiating the purchase of a new or used
EV. Please help me with this distribution. There are compelling reasons for
doing this. They are described below.

The first document (http://goo.gl/yUJ0s3) in this e-mail is a single-page
version of a report that emphasizes those personal, immediately-recognized
advantages of EV ownership. The second document (http://goo.gl/fCUiyX) is a
two-page version that provides more detail and cites the references upon
which the conclusions in both versions and this message are based.

On August 18 the Corvallis Gazette-Times reported the astonishing fact that
on each workday 17,000 people commute from other cities to their workplaces
in Corvallis and 9,500 Corvallis residents commute to their workplaces in
other cities. On these and other days there are thousands of additional
trips made into, within and from Corvallis, using engine-driven vehicles.
The atmosphere in the Corvallis area is confined by mountains and
frequently capped by temperature inversions. These barriers hold the toxic
components of auto exhaust in the air that we must breathe. Google "Health
Effects of Auto Exhaust" to access the many medical and related reports
that describe the adverse effects of auto exhaust on human health,
particularly on the health of children and the elderly. This condition
exists in many other locations throughout Oregon and the U.S. A recent MIT
report estimates that there are 500,000 premature deaths in the U.S. each
year, caused by breathing auto exhaust.

As we know, engine-driven vehicles also emit greenhouse gases in copious
quantities. These components cause climate-related catastrophes that injure
and kill many people and destroy natural resources upon which human life
depends. We have no choice but to find and employ effective countermeasures
that will eliminate automobile exhaust.

Boots, bikes, and electric mass transit should be used whenever practicable
to reduce automobile emissions. However, they cannot satisfy the major part
of personal transportation requirements, as the Corvallis statistics
clearly show. At least they cannot do this until a decades-long replacement
of transportation-related infrastructure is completed. There is one
countermeasure that will satisfy the remainder of this requirement. It is
the electric vehicle (EV). Before Congress became gridlocked, it legislated
a start to the transformation from engine-driven vehicles to electric
vehicles. If it had also enacted a law that required engine-driven vehicle
owners to pay for the damage that their vehicles cause to public health and
security, these vehicles would have been relegated to junk yards and only
EVs would be seen on our nation's roads. Now Congress is gridlocked and the
Supreme Court is dominated by those who serve corporate, not citizen,
interests. So we cannot rely alone on our efforts to get the necessary laws
enacted, upheld and administered. If we do, this transformation will not be
accomplished in time to prevent immense human suffering and probably
extinction. So we must also focus our efforts directly on the all-powerful
consumer. That is the engine-driven vehicle owner. The challenge is to find
the most effective means for getting these owners to replace their vehicles
with electric vehicles, as quickly as possible.

That replacement will eliminate *all local auto emissions* and at least 50%
of *all auto emissions*, everywhere. That is when EVs are operated on
electricity produced with fossil fuels. When EVs are powered by
electricity, produced by hydraulic-, wind- or solar-energy, they will
produce no harmful emissions anywhere. Hydro-electricity is available to EV
owners whose homes are served by one of the utility companies in the
Pacific Northwest that sells hydropower. The Corvallis area's Consumers
Power Incorporated is an example. Solar-generated electricity is available
to everyone whose home has sufficient sun exposure. An Oregon law now
exists, which enables community solar installations that can provide solar
electricity to all other EV owners in Oregon. So the capability to
eliminate all emissions by automobiles is available. It is only the will to
fully utilize this capability that is lacking.

With engine-driven vehicles so much easier and more profitable to sell we
cannot rely on dealers to do anything more than sell EVs to those who come
to their showrooms, determined to purchase one. For reasons described above
we cannot be certain that legislation will be enacted, upheld and
administered to require completion of this critically-important EV
transformation. So we must develop and implement a contingency plan. We, EV
owners, are uniquely qualified and by default obligated to do this. This
contingency plan must be focused on consumers, directly, because only they
possess the immediate power to produce this EV transformation.

The first step in this plan is to convince two-car families that it is in
their personal interest to replace one of their engine-driven vehicles with
an EV. This replacement will be much more rapid, if the primary focus of
our communications with them is about the immediate, personal advantages of
EV ownership. The public health and security advantages are not as strong a
motivator because these are not readily recognized as being of immediate
personal benefit. That awareness would come as climate change effects
intensify, locally. However, we cannot await that awareness if the intense
suffering, that leads to widespread awareness, is to be minimized.

Please, forward this e-mail with to other EV owners and forward the link to
one or both of the documents to anyone that may be interested in an EV. I
encourage other EV owners to develop independent projects to achieve this
same goal and will gladly help in their development. I will appreciate
comments and recommendations from everyone on how to improve the
effectiveness of my project. For clarifying discussion please call me at (541)
753-5837 <callto:(541)%20753-5837>.

For life's sake please distribute this e-mail.

Thank you for all that you do and will do to make this world a safer place
in which to live.

Respectfully,

Walt Eager