[Caevlist] Fwd: Our 2011 Leaf SL

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sun May 18 16:11:02 PDT 2014

On 5/18/14 2:52 PM, WALTER J EAGER wrote:
> Leaf owners and perhaps others will be interested in the response below
> that I got from the Leaf owner who put 41,000 miles on his Leaf without
> losing any battery capacity bars.

Without quick charging, there wouldn't have been any point in my getting
a Leaf - for a lot less money I could have put new batteries in the
Solectria which has plenty of range for driving around Corvallis.  Even
with pretty much dead batteries, the friends I gave it to still use it
for commuting to work.

The entire point of the Leaf was its ability to let me drive to Portland
and other places in the region and that's barely practical with quick
charging; not at all with just L2 charging.  I do expect the battery
life to be shorter with the quick charging though.

On the other hand, someone with a longer commute, e.g. Albany to
Corvallis might find a Leaf as only a commuter car justifiable and make
the lower utility for longer battery life trade.