[Caevlist] In-frame Commutator Resurfacing Tool

gburket at peak.org gburket at peak.org
Mon Jan 28 20:21:08 PST 2013

Hello fellow brush heads,
I just picked up what looks to be a very old, in-frame commutator
resurfacing tool(see pics). It appears to be designed to fit into the
brush area of medium to large sized( much larger than most EV car sized)
DC motors and resurface the comm without having to remove the armature or
possible the motor.

With some brackets it could be bolted to the outside of just about any
motor.  What I don't know is if there is enough room in smaller, modern
motors to reach in with a single point cutting tool attached to this guy.
I suspect, to use the tool, one set of brush holders will have to be
removed.

I'll bring it to the next meeting.  Bring your expertise with different
motors to see if this would be a useful tool.  If so, I'll R&R it and
incorporate it in my collection of machine tools.

Glenn