[Caevlist] 2000 Corbin Sparrow

Kirk Swaney - SHIFT Electric Vehicles LLC kirk at SHIFTev.com
Mon Oct 16 07:58:27 PDT 2023

Hi Stephen,Sounds fun. Most sparrows used a simple series-wound brushed dc motor and Curtis 1209 controller.  There are many on evAlbum.com. Perhaps one thats been converted to lithium by someone who would share the e perience with you? Optima yellow or blue group 34 will cost more than lithium. Keep in mind that with conversion of batteries to lithium comes conversion or replacement of the charger too, and the addition of a BMS + integration time. A good learning project.The lead weight added stability, so keep CG in mind with lithium placement. Especially since it's on 3 wheels. I rolled an electric 3 wheeler in 1996 and it took the joy right out of the ride lol.Kirk
-------- Original message --------From: Stephen Hodges <stephen at bosonhub.com> Date: 10/15/23  10:10 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: Corvallis EV CLub <caevlist at caevclub.org> Subject: [Caevlist] 2000 Corbin Sparrow Hi allA friend of mine has a Corbin Sparrow and we are considering a restoration for my YouTube channel. However, we’re not quite sure where to start. Regardless, we want the car back on the road. Any input would be helpful, especially on the cost of batteries. Condition: (from the owner)“Does TheBadIdeasGarage want to work on then do a review of my 2000 Corbin Sparrow?

It needs all batteries replaced. 13 optima yellow top 34’s.  Also needs Brake work since it’s not need driven for at least 3 years.

And who knows what else.”We certainly do not have the capabilities to do major work, however, he is perspectively interested to see what it would be cost wise to upgrade to lithium batteries. Apparently, there are folks who have done this around the country. I thought I would start with our group First, I know ShiftEV is obviously a part of it. He is trying to do a cost benefit analysis before replacing the batteries with what is there. I have an image attached, not sure if that is going to come through.Thanks!