[Caevlist] DC charging

Allan Hesch allanhesch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 31 12:26:35 PST 2022

Hello all, I'm very out of my depth here so I'm asking for any information
at all.
An off-grid friend in New Mexico is building a conversion which will use
144 volts, maybe 25-30 kwh, of Lifepo batteries and an Orion BMS 2. He's
wanting to use enough panels in series and a suitable charge controller to
charge the truck. No ac charger. This makes sense to me except that I don't
know a dang thing about it!
Assuming plenty of sun, a charge controller that puts out steady regulated
voltage (varies the amperage as the sun's output changes) and no daily
commute, what are the drawbacks here?
Some concerns:
How will the Orion deal with often variable amp input and probable
occasional low or no voltage? Damage? Ability to balance even though amps
of input current will change? Interruptibility?
How will the batteries deal with a DC input which is sometimes higher and
sometimes lower amp and doesn't taper when it should?
Anybody know of a programmable solar controller that would be up to this
job, say 165-170 volts? He has a line on one but is looking for suggestions
as well.
I'm thinking plenty of people must have done this, maybe there's even a
facebook group.
Any ideas, suggestions of even spitballing would be much appreciated!
Allan