[Caevlist] Towing with the Y

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Mon Apr 5 09:57:12 PDT 2021

Aerodynamics really do matter - I drove up to Portland yesterday to look
at a small tent trailer I've been giving some thought (only half
seriously) to getting.  As expected, they wouldn't let me take it for a
"test tow", but I did get a new stinger with the 1 7/8" ball I need for
my little utility trailer (the one I had on the RAV was for a smaller
hitch and wouldn't work in the Model Y).  This afternoon, I took my
little utility trailer out for a test tow.  On the way up to Portland at
70mph, I was consuming 270Wh/mile.  Coming back at 75mph, it was just a
hair under 300Wh/mile.  Pulling the little, unloaded, utility trailer at
60mph out to Tangent...440Wh/mile, and for a brief run at 70mph, just
over 500Wh/mile.  Since I didn't have a cover on, I think I was hit
aerodynamically with both the front of the trailer and the tailgate, so
it's probably about what I can expect if I got the tent trailer.
Between the $15k and the range hit, I think I'll just keep using a tent
or a motel 😉