[Caevlist] [Oeva-list] LIPO4 battery recycling

Gary Graunke gary at whitecape.org
Fri Jul 31 11:12:46 PDT 2020

An update: I have successfully sent my A123 cells to their final
destination.

I ended up calling Metro recycling in Portland. They referred me to a place
in Cornelius that sometimes recycles batteries (that was a dead end), and
the Metro Portland Hazardous Waste folks at 503 223 8133. They were very
helpful once I explained that I am a hobbyist with a one-time disposal and
not a business, and I had about 240 lbs of cells from power tools batteries
that I had repackaged into car-sized batteries. They asked for the
dimensions of the cells and the wattage of each cell. After checking things
out on their end, they called back and said I should wrap the contacts of
each cell in one of three type of tape:  packing tape, electrical tape, or
duct tape (but not scotch tape or masking tape).

They suggested I call ahead before bring them in to make sure at least one
of the two people that knew what was going on were there.

NOTE: This was just for my cells. The procedure is different for each cell,
so call first-don't copy what I did.

On the day I finally had everything prepared, I called only to find out that
the two were not there that day. But the supervisor said that since I had
followed their instructions, I could bring them in anyway. It was very easy.
I brought in the MSDS for the cells which I found on A123's website, and
they appreciated that.

The person who unloaded them said they were most concerned about having a
fire-quite understandable.

If I were doing this again, I would have discharged all the cells entirely
when they were still connected into the battery as an additional precaution.

So there is a way to deal with the final phase of our batteries. (The lead
ones were so easy-people paid us to take them back. Maybe someday Lithium
ones will be the same).

Gary