[Caevlist] Leaf -> Tesla

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sat Dec 26 14:14:32 PST 2020

So, my 2018 Leaf lease runs out March 6, so I put in a Tesla Model Y
reservation a while back aiming to take delivery Feb 27 (giving me as
much time as possible to build up the down payment and keep the payments
down).

Then last week, Nissan sends me a flyer offering $15k if I give them
back the Leaf before the end of the year (lease buyout is currently
$11.4k).  And Tesla says "take delivery before the end of the year and
get a year of fee supercharging!"  Not a terribly big incentive, but
incentive, and the two together are conveniently timed.  The big
question is whether Tesla can actually deliver what I want next week -
they're looking at least...

Except, Nissan played the game I thought they were going to: "oh, $15k
is for trade in, if you just want to sell, we won't give you anywhere
near that amount".  $14k is about what the real market value is; they
only want to give me $13k and I don't want to give into their games even
though it's still a win.

However, if someone wants to offer something close to market value for it...