[Caevlist] Extension cords

Trelstad, Brandon brandon.trelstad at oregonstate.edu
Thu Aug 15 22:45:13 PDT 2019

Hi Bryon,
I didn’t see anyone else chime in, and there is certainly deeper expertise on this list than me, but I have had no trouble charging my Tesla Model 3 with an extension cord.  It’s not a best practice and there is energy loss, but in the kind of situation you describe I would not hesitate to use a good quality cord no longer than you really need.  I’ve done it a handful of times when travelling.  One time I had to use a 100’ cord and everything went fine; got 4 miles/hour of charge.  I think it was only 16 gauge.  (I can hear the cringing of other readers!)

I’m not sure about the Bolt, but I believe the Tesla can drop the amps a little (below the standard 12 A at 120 V) if it sees too much voltage sag so it will only take what the supply can give it.  I think the Bolt can be set for 8 or 12 amps so you might just want to start with 8 to be safe.

Always make sure you have a good ground.  Tesla won’t charge without it, I suspect Bolt too.  Plus, when you have an overpriced Airbnb or something along those lines, it feels good to get a little free charge!
Brandon