[Caevlist] battery recommendation

David Ullman ullman at davidullman.com
Sat Mar 3 05:55:50 PST 2018

Some of you have been to my place to see the wind tunnel work I am doing for an electric airplane.  I should have tunnel results by late summer and then start building a system for real airplane testing.  In this regard I am starting to get serious about components for the full sized airplane.   Large EDF (electric Ducted fan ) evolution for model airplanes is advancing at a rapid pace.  There are now quiet 120mm units that will produce 15 lbs of thrust for a short period and 8 lbs continuous (limit is motor heat).  Sixteen of these will make my little plane fly very well.  I plan on starting with 4-6 on the plane with the IC engine still in place to gather data before removing the IC engine altogether, a year or more away on that.  More on the project at www.davidullman.com/aeronautics <http://www.davidullman.com/aeronautics>

The one area I have done very little is batteries.  During my test stage,  later this year, each  of the 4-6 motors needs battery power of:

*	Nominal 45 V
*	25 Ah for 30 minutes of flight testing.  The more, the better.
*	100 amp draw max, 50 amp continuous
*	Near zero fire hazard.
*	Batteries must be complete with BMS and charger.  I have no interest in making batteries another area of research.
*	Weight – as light as possible – I can go up to 200 lbs for batteries to power 4-6 motors but prefer something lighter (next gen batteries??)

It seems that I should be able to get someone to take a Leaf (or other) battery pack and help me reconfigure it this fall.  Any ideas?

David Ullman

www.davidullman.com

ullman at davidullman.com

541-760-2338