[Caevlist] 2016 Leaf turned in

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Sat Feb 24 18:41:27 PST 2018

Well, Nissan did not want to extend my lease, so I turned in my 2016
Leaf this afternoon to Power Nissan in Salem (where I got it).  If
anyone is interested, I put up some relevant info at:

http://alan.batie.org/leaf/2016-return/

The first screenshot from Leaf Spy is from last night after I got it
back from the shop, the rest are from this morning after I gave it a
full charge, just before I drove it to Salem to turn in.  The battery
state is a bit disappointing - 86% SOH, 80% Hx (not sure what the
difference is); I attribute it to the fact that in the summer, a trip to
Portland and back required 2 1/2 fast charges which brought the battery
temperature up to 9-10 bars a number of times - a typical trip would be:

* leave Corvallis with 100%
* charge to 80% in wilsonville
* drive around portland
* charge to 80% in wilsonville
* charge to 60% in Salem
** this winter, with the rain, cold and degrading battery,
    it's been 70-80% in Salem as 60% was cutting it close.
    when new and dry roads/no heat, 50% was enough
* level 2 charge to full when I got home
* typically 180-200 miles total

The "freebird" images are scans of the repair report: on December 11, I
was in Portland on 217 heading to Washington Square in stop-n-go
traffic.  At one point, traffic stopped at just the wrong moment and I
didn't, hitting a RAV4 in front of me, with a trailer hitch.  It was low
speed, not setting off air bags, and the car was quite driveable and,
surprisingly, I was still able to fast charge and get home.  The
"damage" files show the damage the next morning (full rez and 800x600).

The initial estimate was a little over $2k, but after they got into it a
couple weeks ago (the earliest they could get to it), a lot of things
were damaged and it ended up being $7600! Including $850!!! each for the
headlights with broken mounts, though they worked fine.  Wow.  However
Freebird is a good local shop and it's back to like new.