[Caevlist] EV gathering tomorrow, Wed Aug 1st @ 7PM

Paul Wallace ianaudio at peak.org
Wed Aug 1 11:43:50 PDT 2018

One thing I've experienced in the past is that the dual filament tail/brake/turn bulbs ground connection will corrode in the socket such that the filaments can't get to ground, but they are connected together at the now floating outer contact shell. Now when one filament is driven with 12V, say the brake filament, but the tail lights are not turned on, the brake light 12v path to ground may be back through the tail light filament. This can be quite a problem, depending on what the driving circuits for the different functions is. Old switch contacts didn't mind particularly, but electronic drivers without reverse diodes or other protection may not fare so well. The quality of the tail light housing and its seals is usually the issue. This is a particular issue with boat trailers which are used for wet launch as the lights may go under water for every launch and haul out.

Paul