[Caevlist] Electric chainsaw for E-bike project?

Alan Dennis alan at curiousexistence.com
Thu Jul 14 15:33:37 PDT 2016

Hi Corvallis EV Clubbers,

I’m thinking of repurposing an electric chainsaw to give my bicycle a boost while pedaling up a steep hill.

I already have a couple of 40V Ryobi batteries (~95 Whr with internal BMS) that I use in my lawnmower and rototiller.  Someone has torn apart a Ryobi Chainsaw and battery pack and documented all the components and how they could be used to build a go-kart.  The following image is taken from that page:

The part I’m struggling with is the mechanical engineering.  Here are the issues that I’m anticipating:

1.       It will need a gearbox to reduce the motor speed to something usable.  The motor shaft is “12mm diameter with 10mm flats”.

2.       How should I interface the gearbox from #1 with a bike chain?

3.       How will I keep everything waterproof?

Is anyone willing to lend me their experience, even if it’s just to say “don’t bother”?

Thanks,

Alan Dennis