[Caevlist] Designing BMS low power sensing circut

Peakfoto Digital Photo Still n Video ken at peakfoto.com
Thu Sep 18 20:46:37 PDT 2014

 FEVT ltd used latching contactors from Albright.

http://www.albrightinternational.com/files/downloads/catalogues/SW80%20ETC%20TELECOM%20LEAFLET.pdf

You need to add a latching circuit when operating with low level BMS
systems. When BMS keeps the contactor ON/pulled there is very little energy
consumed. A simple trigger which is powered by few supercaps creates OFF
burst when the signal from BMS is lost. Contactor controller can be
programmed to sniff standard I/O's.

We did the previously mentioned to cancel the current drawn from several
contactors in a battery system. We used separate unit with PIC18F2480 SW/HW
watchdogs. The distributed design allowed cross supervision over several
CPUs with some redundancy. This topology allowed us to make systems which
worked 10 years with next to none service (some SW updates were made to add
redundancy). Winston's (aka TS) LFP-350AHA cells worked just as well that
10 years.

By default there is build-in hand shake protocol over CAN bus between the
main CPU and contactor controller. So if the CPU's SW (called Core SW) for
some reason loses it's mind next controller CPU takes over the system
control and initiates the preprogrammed CPU reboot sequence. Depending on
the setup user does no even know there was a reboot done. So adding this to
low level BMS you can achieve more stable and robust system.

One neat feature was a timer code which basically allowed CORE to determine
how many seconds the system may be on what ever is happening. Temperatures
or voltages are not going haywire in few minutes. Say some of the
electronics go broken. A divine touch or what ever is the reason. Contactor
controller allows to operate the system over the set timer according the
parameters. Naturally this controller may sniff all components on the CAN
bus to determine if the timer was set right.

I could make a patch of these contactor controllers if needed. I sold the
company away in 2010 but I still know the technology inside out.  Company
wen't belly up over a year ago so I dare to use the system design now (?)

I must say I'm stunned how long term technology investors did not know
Moore's law. :) There was a lot of critics how expensive touch screens and
multiple CPUs are and they will never be mainstream in vehicles. User
interface development was scrapped because: "no one will use touch screens
in cars. They distract the driver and are going to be forbidden by law".  :D

-Jukka

http://www.google.com/profiles/jarviju#about