[Caevlist] Battery

Kirk at ShiftEV kirk at shiftev.com
Wed Oct 15 13:25:43 PDT 2014

Good question Shep.  No specifics at all. Sounds like the concept isn't
proven in larger cells yet, because they say they're applying for a
Proof-of-Concept grant to build a large-scale battery prototype.

Various breakthroughs leveraging carbon nanostructures has been in the news
for a few years. In May, I met with some suppliers discussing new battery
technologies they're working on, with respect to a vehicle company I am
working with. Chris Craney, Director/Senior VP from Power Japan Plus. And
John Busbee, CEO/CTO of Xerion Advanced Battery Corp.

I'm no scientist, but from those conversations I gathered that new battery
tech releases like this are often based on small cell experimentation in
academia (and in professional labs). Developing small cells (as in coin
cells) moves more quickly and makes the funding go farther. But there are
different issues with replicating that same success in larger format cells
like a car requires. A common challenge I've heard is that thermal expansion
(and contraction) breaks down the structures needed to hold electrons for
capacity. In bigger cells this is a much bigger issue that affects cycle
life. More time & research is needed for that, and a small scale experiment
success doesn't mean it's affordable or available to the industry anytime
soon.

Kirk